We understand the oral cavity is least of your worries as long as you are getting FOOD to stuff in anytime and anywhere. Foodie or not, a healthy mouth goes a long way in keeping you overall hail and hearty. We do all brush every day at least once but brushing correctly in the right sequence for appropriate amount of time is the key. All of us have encountered bleeding gums at some time which usually resolved on its own. Gum problems should not be ignored at any stage because they usually indicate underlying local or systemic disorders.
COMMON SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
Early stage gingivitis usually goes unnoticed because it is painless, and no-one really notices the gum margins routinely. Watch out for following signs and symptoms for timely management:
- Reddish hue near gum margins
- Swelling and tenderness
- Bleeding gums on brushing or biting apples etc.
- Persistent bad smell from mouth
- Gum recession exposing more root surface of teeth
- Hot and cold sensitivity
- Teeth mobility in advanced stages due to loss of supporting structure around the teeth
- Pus discharge
- Food impaction around gum lines
Bacteria remains the main culprit for gum diseases which usually feed on left upon food particles, combine with mucus and form thin slimy film on tooth surface called plaque. Stagnation of plaque due to poor oral hygiene results in hardening and tartar formation which cannot be removed by mere brushing. Tartar is a constant irritant for gum tissue.
- Usually gum issues are resolved with minimal invasive procedures like professional teeth cleaning and polishing lasting about 15-30 minutes.
- Deep cleaning is needed in cases with severe tartar accumulation to remove calculus embedded within gum margins and gum pockets.
- Antibiotics are only prescribed in surgical or severe cases.
- Warm saline rinses multiple times a day is extremely beneficial for healing and maintaining healthy gums.
- Flap Surgery is done in severe gingivitis cases which relapse with simple deep cleaning and root planing options. Flap surgery involves lifting gum tissue and removal of plaque, calculus, infected tissue and smoothening of bone surface to remove the source of infection. Gum tissue is reapproximated closely to tooth surface.
- Gingivectomy is done to remove gingival outgrowth or enlargements.
- In severe infection cases, bone graft is needed to stimulate bone growth in depleted areas to restore firm support around the teeth.
- Guided tissue regeneration facilitates bone and soft tissue growth is designated deficient areas.
If left untreated, gingivitis escalates to periodontitis, which means attacking the bone and soft tissue surrounding the teeth. The longevity of the tooth clearly depends on the health status of gums, bone and supporting tissues. Gum diseases are closely associated with other systemic disorders like heart problems, diabetes, low preterm weight, Alzheimer’s disease, lung problems etc. as bacteria can spread via the bloodstream.
Gum disease is certainly a very common problem easily overlooked by people. If you are looking for specialists for gum treatment in Gurgaon area, book your appointment at Dental Panache, best dental clinic in Gurgaon.