Diy Mouth Rinses- Adjuncts In Oral Hygiene Maintenance
2020: This year has certainly been an eye-opening and overwhelming experience full of uncertainty, distress, and constant worry! Yet, I cannot help but be grateful about the inherent traits which got reinforced in all of us (by chance if not by choice): Minimalism, home remedies, prioritizing health and hygiene, home cooked nutritious balanced meals and savings (much needed contingency funds)!
Following the trend, my journey began in researching about simple home-made mouth rinses which are cheap, easily available, safe and effective at the same time. Needless to say, we have never ever spent so much time at home before, with our elders and children, and traditional remedies started surfacing on the more! Here is my take on some simple natural mouth rinses that can be incorporated in your daily oral hygiene regimen:
Ingredients: Cold pressed coconut, sunflower or sesame oil
How to use: Take 1 tablespoon of oil of choice in your mouth in empty stomach for maximum efficacy. Swish the oil between your teeth thoroughly for 5-15 minutes or until you can hold it without gagging (Start with lesser quantity and time initially and build it up gradually). Once it becomes watery and milky, spit it in a trash bin to avoid clogging of pipes.
- Prevention of dental cavities
- Reduces plaque and bleeding gums
- Reduces teeth sensitivity and pain
- Improves digestion, metabolism and over detoxification
2- WHEATGRASS MOUTH RINSE:
Ingredients: Wheatgrass juice or wheatgrass powder
How to use: 1/4 tsp of wheatgrass powder in a shot glass of water
Purpose: It is commonly called the “Powerhouse Plant” and is a rich source of chlorophyll, amino acids, minerals, vitamins and enzymes.
- Prevents tooth decay due to anti-bacterial action of chlorophyll
- Soothing effect in gum inflammation and pyorrhea owing to the presence of Vitamin E
- Inhibits gingival recession due to rich anti-oxidant content
- Helps in combating bad breath
3- pH BALANCING MOUTH RINSE:
Ingredients: Natural salt like Himalayan salt, baking soda, water
How to use: Mix 1tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda in 1 cup of distilled lukewarm water. Few drops of peppermint oil can be added to improve taste. Shake well before each use. Swish about 10ml in your mouth for 1-2 minutes after meals.
- Neutralizes acidic pH which is responsible for decay and gum problems
- Teeth remineralisation
- Healing of mouth sores and inflammation in general. It is recommended by National Cancer Institute to alleviate problems related to chemotherapy.
4- ALOE VERA JUICE:
Ingredients: Fresh Aloe vera juice and distilled water
How to use: Mix half cup aloe vera juice with half cup distilled water
- Reduces plaque and gingivitis. A study concluded that aloe vera juice is equally effective as chlorhexidine as anti-bacterial agent thereby reducing bleeding and swelling of gums.
- Helps in preventing or treating dry mouth as it moisturizes the mouth
- Healing of ulcers, canker sores and other oral lesions as mentioned in the review
I would like to clarify that these are not substitutes to brushing, flossing or commercial mouthwash but should be used to supplement your efforts in keeping your mouth plaque-free! These natural alternatives are surely worth giving a shot. Utilise your day judiciously to find plenty time for yourself- your physical, emotional and mental wellbeing.
Stay home and stay heathy!