Dental Root Canal Treatment: The Perfect Way to Restore the Decayed Tooth
Modern dentistry has treatment for all sorts of dental complications. One of the most common dental issues faced by the people of all age is tooth decay. Severe tooth decay cases mostly end up to tooth extraction if not treated on time. Dental root canal treatment is the best treatment to cure badly decayed tooth and save it from extraction. With the introduction of new technologies, this treatment has become relatively comfortable and quick. Endodontists remove bacteria and dead tissues from the tooth and secure it with gutta-percha and superficial crown.
The term “root canal” is coined based on the process that involves cleaning of the canals inside the root of the tooth. The treatment is performed to restore and protect a severely damaged or infected tooth. The procedure begins with removing the infected area of the tooth, cleaning and disinfecting it followed by permanent filling and sealing of the area. This treatment is required when someone has a cracked tooth or tooth with a deep cavity. Depending upon the severity of the tooth decay, root canal treatment steps are completed in single or multiple visits.
There is a public misconception that root canal process is painful and traumatic, whereas, in reality, it relieves from the pain caused by decayed tooth. This process is the best way to restore the function and aesthetics of the damaged tooth. The crown placed to secure the treated tooth give the exact resemblance of a natural tooth. It saves the tooth from permanent extraction and also enhances the beauty of someone’s smile. A beautiful smile is an ultimate source of confidence and pleasure.
Why and When This Treatment is needed?
Poor oral hygiene, irregular eating habit, and undisciplined oral routine are the major reasons behind tooth decay. However, cracked tooth or accidentally damaged tooth also raises the need for dental root canal treatment. There are certain symptoms that signify the requirement of this treatment:
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot and cold food items
- An acute toothache which increases on lying down
- Abscess on gums with or without pus discharge
- Swelling in gums
- Tooth starts turning dark
- Pain on chewing or eating anything
- Sometimes symptoms are not visible however X-ray tests reveal the changes happening inside the root or bone of the tooth
How is Root Canal Treatment Steps Performed?
Basically, the entire procedure is wrapped up in the following four major steps:
- The dentists begin the procedure by administering local anesthesia with a needle. Once the tooth is numb, dentist place a small sheet of rubber called dental dam. It keeps the tooth clean and dry during the entire treatment.
- Then an opening is made in the top section of the tooth to access the affected part. Then with the help of small tools like a tiny drill or likes the damaged parts and tissues are treated. Using small files the decayed pulp is removed from the root and the inner section of the tooth is shaped to make a space. It is then washed vigorously with antimicrobial solutions to wash away any remaining damaged pulp and kill bacteria and minimize the risk of infection.
- Next, the cleaned and dried space is filled with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha. Space is sealed with white permanent filling to protect it from further damage until the permanent crown is placed. Depending upon the condition of the tooth sometimes a small post is placed inside the root of the tooth to make the crown portion more stable.
- A custom-made permanent crown/onlay is placed on the top of the tooth. This restoration structure looks similar to the natural tooth and restores chewing ability from the affected side.
Post the dental Root canal treatment it is important to take exceptional care of the tooth. Good oral care routine can make the restored tooth last for decades. There are few ways that could extend the durability of the treatment:
- Brushing teeth twice a day
- Avoiding chewy, hard, and fast food items
- Regular dental visits for cleaning and examination
Specialists at Dental Panache are renowned for their Painless Single Visit Root Canal Treatment using latest technical advancements and best quality materials. Book your appointment at +91 7290073613.